Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Blueberries Taste like Blueberries

Blueberry muffins are one of my favorite breakfast foods. Before I became the Chef in Training, my daily routine included a drive-thru stop at Panera Bread on my way to work for a delicious, fresh-baked blueberry muffin. Although they are delicious, Panera's blueberry muffins are not dairy-free. Instead, I've found a great recipe online for delicious blueberry muffins.

In the morning, I'm often rushed, so having something easy to grab on my way out the door is important--and I can only eat so much toast.

The recipe for the muffins is very simple and easy to make. I made my muffin batter while my dinner was cooking tonight. They went into the oven while I ate dinner and the timing was perfect. Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose (or gluten free flour)
3/4 cup sugar (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup neutral flavored oil (canola, vegetable etc.--I used canola)
1 large egg
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk:dairy and non-dairy both work (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

First, you whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium to large size bowl and set aside. Measure oil in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix together. Once mixed, add to dry mixture and mix with a fork until combined--batter should be thick and gooey, not thin and runny. Fold in the blueberries. Makes 8 decent sized muffins. Put the liners in the tin and fill the additional spots with 2 Tbsp. with water to ensure the muffins bake evenly. Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on your oven. I put mine in for 15 minutes and add 5 until a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean with crumbs, not batter.

This was a very easy recipe and one that I enjoyed making. You can keep the muffins in a sealed container for up to 3 days or freeze for later use. In my house, eight muffins won't last very long, so no freezing necessary. But this recipe is so easy and quick I can whip up another batch on the fly, as I always have blueberries in my refrigerator.



Recipe courtesy of: https://www.inspiredtaste.net/18982/our-favorite-easy-blueberry-muffin-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment