Tuesday, February 13, 2018

A Peck of Pickled Pickles

Who doesn't love a good pickle? The crunch of a dill pickle makes any sandwich better, while the sweet and tangy bread and butter chips go great on a burger. 

About a year ago, I stopped getting regular pickles because most varieties contained yellow (and sometimes blue) dye to give them their florescent greenish yellow color. Other varieties had a lot of chemicals and additives, which I try to avoid. I found that the Vlasic Farm Fresh pickles were all natural and had no dyes or additives. They tasted fresher than traditional pickles and had a much richer flavor. 

Unfortunately, grabbing a jar of pickles off the grocery store shelf, is a thing of the past for me. Earlier this month, I stopped eating garlic and onion, following a low FODMAP diet. FODMAPs (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols) are short chain carbohydrates that are poorly absorbed in the small intestine. Most varieties of pickles contain garlic and/or onion. 

This week, I made pickles. I have never made anything in the line of canning before, so it was a new experience. Thankfully, I did not need the large pot, tongs, and heat sealing of lids for this quick and easy recipe, which I found online.

12 pickling cucumbers
1 package of fresh dill
4 cups water
2 cups white vinegar
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp.red pepper flakes (optional)

The first step is to wash and dry the cucumbers and then cut into the desired shapes. I did two jars of chips and two jars of spears. Once you've cut your cucumbers, place in jars, leaving room for brine. 

Next you add the dill. Dill is very aromatic. If you don't want to smell like a pickle, wear gloves while handling. Finally, you whisk together the water, vinegar, salt and red pepper flakes and pour into jars. Put on the lid and refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours. One week is recommended for full flavor. 

I will be tasting my pickles next Monday; however, I wanted to share the recipe and photos as it was so simple and a great way to make a wholesome snack in a healthy way.  I will post an update when I taste them!





No comments:

Post a Comment