Saturday, March 4, 2017

How I became "A Chef in Training"

Throughout my childhood and adolescence, learning to cook was never a top priority to me. As a youngster, I didn't care much for my grandmother's Italian cooking and as a teen and young adult, I preferred fast food, take out and dining in restaurants to cooking and doing dishes. However, after an unexplained gastrointestinal issue (which I'm still figuring out), I was put on a bland diet--which meant lean meats, vegetables and fruits, white bread and pasta. It also meant no more fried foods, no cheese, no dairy, no desserts, and no more eating out--at least for a while. And that's when cooking became a necessity and eventually a new passion.

Hand-decorated cookies for Christmas.
Over the holidays, I had rekindled my love for baking. When I was younger, I used to bake a lot. I love sweets and I loved decorating cakes. However, as I got older, I avoided the kitchen as much as possible with the excuse that it was too much work or that it was easier to just buy it. This year was different. I made sugar cookie cut-outs, hand decorated with paint brushes and royal icing. I made peanut butter blossoms and chocolate chip cookies--with and without espresso. My coworkers loved my cookies, asking me weekly if I brought any more in. 

So, while the fire was lit in the kitchen, it still hadn't converged into meal preparation. Then I went out to dinner one night with my mom and woke up the next day feeling awful with no appetite. I didn't eat for four days and eventually went to a doctor. He thought it was acid reflux or my gallbladder. It was neither. Instead of going through numerous tests, I decided to try some self-diagnosis and treatment and started taking a pro-biotic each morning, continuing on a blander diet, and cutting out many of the foods I used to eat. So, far, things have been going well--except when I eat something that my digestive system doesn't like. 

Having only a few skills in the kitchen, I realized I needed to expand my culinary expertise and learn to prepare new foods and meals. With my Pillsbury Cookbook in hand, I started looking through the recipes. Many seemed simple and easy and I decided to try them. I learned new skills including julienne cuts, using a hand-held lemon squeezer, and how to use salt--I have a horrible pallet and often under-salt, under-season my food.

I decided after taking photos of my culinary adventures to turn it into a blog. I figured there are more people out there like me who are new to cooking and who are looking for simple, yet challenging, recipes for delicious foods that are healthy and tasteful. While I do cook with butter and oil, I do not overuse either. I have lost 26 lbs. in two months (I lost 11 in the four days I didn't eat) and I am feeling great. I'm no longer sluggish and tired, I no longer get headaches from lack of sugar or caffeine, and I know exactly what is in the foods I eat. I do go out to dinner with friends and family once in a while, but not like I used to. My friends and family are also great about choosing restaurants where I can get foods that won't upset my stomach--although I wish more restaurants carried grape juice, as I drink it with my meals to help in the digestion process.

So, I hope you enjoy my blog and please, feel free to comment or email if you have any questions or would like any recipes. 

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment